Problems of the young don’t seem very important for the adults. The youth is a very difficult age especially because all feelings and emotions are very strong and there are a lot of them. and all the problems seem very important.
The most common problems of young people are:
- Problem of misunderstanding (in a family, with classmates, teachers)
- Problem of communication (problems with friends)
- Problem of addiction (health problems)
- Problem of love
- Problem of choosing the future profession
- Problem of pocket money
- Questions on the topic «Problems of the Young»
Список английских слов по теме «Problems of the Young» для подготовки к ОГЭ и ЕГЭ
- a rule — правило
- strict / kind — строгий / добрый
- fair / unfair — справедливый / несправедливый
- rude / polite — грубый / строгий
- agressive / violent — агрессивный
- indulgent — потворствующий
- to need in — нуждаться в
- necessary for — необходимый
- be responsible for — отвечать за что-то
- private life — личная жизнь
- own business — личное дело
- attitude to — отношение к
- to interfere — вмешиваться
- a permission — разрешение
- ask for permission — спрашивать разрешения
- to allow — разрешать
- I am allowed — Мне разрешают
- to make smb do smth — заставлять (после глагола «make» в значении «заставлять» частица to не ставится)
- to influence smb — влиять
- to depend on — зависеть от
- to face problems — сталкиваться с проблемами
- to cope with problems (= overcome problems)– справляться с проблемами (преодолевать)
- to quarrel with — ссориться с
- to argue with — спорить с
- to agree/ disagree with — (не) соглашаться с
- to contradict — возражать
- to answer back — огрызаться
- to defend one’s opinion — отстаивать свое мнение
- to be on good terms with (= get on well with) — быть в хороших отношениях
- to punish (punishment) — наказывать (наказание)
- reason / cause — причина
- to cause — вызывать
- to lead to — вести к
- to understand — понимать
- to misunderstand — понимать неправильно
- misunderstanding — непонимание
- to behave — вести себя
- behavior — поведение
- to follow parents’ advice — следовать совету родителей
- to consult parents/ friends — советоваться с родителями
- to insist on doing– настаивать на
- to come across the same problem — встречаться с той же проблемой
- to treat as a child — обращаться как с ребенком
- to make fun of — высмеивать
- to respect — уважать
- to rely on — положиться на
- have much in common — иметь много общего
- to trust — доверять
- to betray — предавать
- to envy — завидовать
Problems of the Young
teenagers = young people = the young = the youngsters
parents = adults = grown-ups
youth (молодость) — the youth (молодежь)
1. The Problem of Misunderstanding with Parents or Teachers
Problems with parents. Personal problems can look silly and unimportant to the eyes of grown-ups, who have already passed this period. This problem is called a generation gap. Every generation is unique in its experience. It has its own ideals and a system of values. Adults always complain that the young are not always what they were. These words are repeated from generation to generation. That’s correct. In fact today the young are better educated. They grow up more quickly. They have more freedom. At present the young do not blindly accept the ideals of their parents. They don’t believe that they are right only because they are older. But the adults don’t want their values to be questioned. All these differences generate a generation gap when the young and adults don’t understand one another.
As a rule, the adults dissatisfied with their own life, teach the young how to live. Unfortunately they apply old standards to the new way of life. But the young people don’t want to live in the past. They have their own ideas. They want to make their own mistakes rather than to listen to the warnings of the adults and repeat the mistakes of the older generation. They want to overcome their own difficulties. But grown-ups try to keep teenagers away from all the “dangers”, which makes up life.
Problems with teachers. The same misunderstanding we face sometimes from the side of the teachers. They think that youth is given for studying. However, school takes all teenagers’ time but the person who only studies is dull.
Another problem is bad marks. Bad marks don’t encourage weak students, they simply can’t do better. Also bad marks can cause problems with parents as they don’t want to understand that their child does his (her) best.
Упражнение 1. Express your opinion on the points. Give good reasons or examples from your life.
- there is always some sense in parents words;
- the best way to solve problems with parents is to talk peacefully;
- that the best tactics is not to contradict the parents;
- if you are keen on computer games you have lost interest in a real life.
2. The Problem of Communication / Problem with Friends
Communication has always been an important part of young people’s life. It is very difficult to be on good terms (get on) with everybody as all people are different. Sometimes teenagers don’t feel comfortable in a group because they are too shy or not very strong. But every human needs to socialize and it is the reason why they prefer different ways of communication.
Today teenagers can choose between traditional and new ways of communication. Traditionally they meet after classes with their school friends, make parties, go to the cinema or disco clubs to have fun, relax and acquire new friends.
But if the young people do not like noisy clubs and other places of entertainment, they can find friends without leaving their homes – the Internet gives them such an opportunity. They can sit for twenty hours chatting with their friends.
Упражнение 2. Express your opinion on the points. Give good reasons or examples from your life.
- It is a problem to choose good friends.
- There can be only two or three real friends.
- Real friends will never betray each other.
3. The Problem of Addiction / Health Problems
Every type of addiction is dangerous for a personality. For an addiction we mean the unability to stop doing actions that are harmful for health.
Let us take for example, computer games. Nowadays many young people are keen on computer games. Such young people don’t eat, sleep, work or learn properly. It’s a great problem and parents don’t know how to make them get interested in a real life.
The tragic effect of drug-addiction are experienced by some 30 millions of Russia’s population, in other words, by one in five of its inhabitants. The use of drugs starts at school, at parties, in discotheques, etc, when youngsters are no more than 15 to 17 years old. Often they make their first “try” out of curiosity – or so as not to be “different” from their “mates”. They want to get new, unexpected sensations, they hope it will stimulate their imagination and creative abilities. But, on contrary, drugs actually undermine creativity.
As a result of regular use of drugs an active and lively personality turns into a listless person, lacking in energy and without any interests. Life becomes focused on the need to get and apply drugs. It means that the total personality becomes influenced by the regular use of drugs. The addict gradually loses his or her better moral characteristics, becomes detached from friends and family. Drugs don’t mean enjoyment, they mean dependence. And it is too late when all the victims realize it. It can take a year or six months for that “dependence” to develop – but more often, just a month or two. Sometimes a person can become addicted after just one injection.
Young people can have health problems caused by smoking or drinking beer. They do it to look older and more independent.
Упражнение 3. Comment on the following.
- If you are keen on computer games you have lost interest in a real life.
- If you are keen on computer games you don’t have any friends.
- Only weak people can be addicted.
4. Problem of Love
The problem of love is very important for young people. They believe that love can last forever. Unfortunately, often their hearts are broken. Young people are not always ready to have stable relations. In many cases they are too young and inexperienced to begin a family life.
Sometimes their relationships lead to early marriages and teenage pregnancy. But do young people realize responsibilities when making a proposal of marriage? Only rarely marriages in youth can end up happily. The majority of them break down in a year or two. The point is that they don’t have enough consciousness to realize what they are doing.
Marriage is a serious step in life and requires a lot of courage and responsibility from the person who makes such a decision. The majority of couples think that desire and passion in love are enough. But soon the two lovers find out that they lack experience in family life. Furthermore, at the age of 18-23 young people have a lot of career plans and hopes for a prosperous life in the future and they are full of energy to fulfill their dreams. And early marriage, pregnancy and upbringing a baby can spoil everything.
4. Answer the questions:
- Do you believe in «love with first sight»?
- Do you think that love at this age can be true?
- What should young people do if they love each other? Should they be together or wait until their coming of age (совершеннолетия)?
5. Problem of Choosing Future Profession / Problem of Education
Read more texts about choosing future profession
The problem of education is also very serious. There are educational institutions at present but the quality of training is different. Some of are state, some are private. Some are difficult to enter, others are easy to enter. Some of them train specialists who can easily find a prestigious and well-paid job, others offer their graduates only poor-paid positions.
The choice of the educational institutions depends ON the school you study at, your parents, the financial conditions of the family, your likes and dislikes. But everbody has to study hard because to enter a good institute they must have good score on their exam test.
It is a great problem to find a suitable institute and a profession for the rest of your life. But it is very important as making the wrong choice will influence your future life.
5. Answer the questions:
- Why is it important to make the right choice while choosing future profession?
- Why is it difficult?
- Is it necessary to study hard at school to make a successful career? Why or why not?
6. Problem of Pocket Money
The problem of money is important as well. Young people need to have pocket money for buying things for themselves, for example discs, fashion clothes, etc. As a rule, parents give their children money for food and clothes. However, in large families children have to work to pay for extra clothes, things necessary for your hobbies, etc.
6. Answer the questions:
- Do you have enough pocket money for your needs?
- What do you spend your pocket money on?
- Have you ever tried to earn money? What did you do?
Упражнение 7. Give a talk on the yough problems, using the table.
7. Questions on the topic «Problems of the Youth»
- What are the most common problems of young people?
- Do you share the opinion that problems can make people stronger?
- How do you choose your friends? What makes people friends?
- Do you spend much time with your friends? How do you spend your time together?
- Do you have much in common with your friends?
- What do you usually talk about?
- What jobs, books, outfit, hobbies are popular among the teenagers?
- What is better: to have one close friend or a lot of friends? Why?
- Do you know about his (her) problems?
- Do you get on with your classmates?
- Is it possible to solve your problems by yourself?
- Do your parents help you to solve your problems?
- Can you help your friends to solve their problems?
- What is the best way to solve the problems?