1. Places to Go on Holidays. Dialogue №1Words to learn:
- I’d like to go on — Я бы хотел отправиться
- I’d prefer to go on — Я бы предпочел отправиться
- sound exciting — звучать заманчиво
- be full of tourists — полно туристов
- What places to go on holiday did the girl and the boy discuss?
- What reasons were mentioned for and against the trips?
- What trip did they finally decide on?
Use the phrase: The girl suggested going on… but the boy refused because…
Girl: Which holiday (отдых) would you like to go on, Ricky? Boy: Er… I don’t know … they all look interesting. Well, I think I’d like to go on the wildlife safari. Girl: Really? Boy: Yeah, I prefer hot places, you know. South Africa sounds good. Girl: Mm. I think the trip to Patagonia sounds the most exciting, though. Boy: Yes? You do? Girl: I mean, you can really explore somewhere, you know, which isn’t full of tourists. It would be great, because you can go skiing and mountaineering as well. Boy: True. Girl: I wouldn’t like to go on the safari, actually. You know, sitting around watching giraffes. You can see them in the zoo, can’t you? Boy: Yeah, but isn’t the weather bad in Patagonia? It’s really windy, isn’t it? It’s worse than the weather here! Girl: Yeah, that’s true. Boy: And that Patagonia trip sounds a bit, you know, uncomfortable. Girl: Maybe. But they give you everything you need. Tents, four-wheel-drive cars … it’d be a real adventure, wouldn’t it? Boy: No, not really. Not for me. I don’t like cold places. I’d really prefer to go to Africa. Girl: Well… not me. Let’s have a look at one of the others. What about rafting in Northern Turkey? That sounds quite good, doesn’t it? Boy: Mm right. But I wouldn’t like to go rafting. I think it’s really dangerous. Girl: Oh, come on, Ricky. You’d love it in Turkey. It’s hot there in the summer as well. You can’t complain about that! Boy: No, I suppose not. And at least they’ve got guest houses. I hate camping. Girl: Yeah … I know! Boy: And maybe I should try rafting. Girl: Right, great. And we could go to Istanbul on the way back. I’ve heard it’s an amazing place. Boy: OK … right, lefs go there!
* * *
Reasons for Travelling. Text №2.Words:
- curiosity — любопытство
- encourage — побуждать
- undertake a trip — совершить поездку
People enjoy traveling, but what are their reasons they leave their homes? There are several of them. First comes curiosity. Films about far-off places, books and friends’ stories encourage us to undertake our own trips.
- get a glimpse — ознакомиться
Education comes next. Learning through traveling is very popular. It does not mean only visiting museums and admiring architectural ensembles. It also means to get a glimpse of another life style. You can never get that sort of knowledge from books.
- escape the problems — сбежать от проблем
And besides, there are people who just change places. Probably they have problems at home and that is their way — rather to escape than to solve. Others look for adventures. We are all different and and have different motives for traveling.Question: What are the main reasons for traveling?
* * *
3. A Personal Opinion about Travelling. Text №3
Retell the text, paying attention that you remember well the useful phrases below.
- broaden my outlook — расширять кругозор
- understand other cultures — понять другую культуру
- an experienced traveller — опытный путешественник
- plan everything carefully — все тщательно планировать
- travel agency — туристическое агентство
- arrange the journey — организовать путешествие
- arrange for us an accomodation — организовать проживание
- book a return ticket — заказать обратный билет
- pack the luggage — упаковать багаж
- arrive at the airport — прибыть в аэропорт
- stay in a hotel — остановиться в отеле
- it offers — он предлагает
- a wide range of activities — широкий выбор разных видов отдыха
- remote places — отдаленные места
- scenic routes — живописные маршруты
I like traveling because it broadens my outlook and helps me to understand other cultures. I’m not an adult yet so I travel with my parents. But I think that I’m already an experienced traveler. I know that if you decide to travel, you should plan everything carefully. This year we decided to go to Britain. At first we went to a travel agency that helped us to arrange our journey. They arranged for us an accommodation in a hotel and booked us a return ticket. Then we packed our luggage and arrived at the airport. We stayed in a small hotel near London. It offered us a wide range of different activities: boating and canoeing, hiking and rafting and others. I prefer cycling because I like going to remote places and I am fond of scenic routes.