Цель: научиться вести диалоги по теме «Известный художник»
Методическая онлайн разработка к учебнику для 10 класса English 10 (Афанасьева, Михеева), а также дополнительные материалы и иллюстрации по теме «Искусство»)
Before you start, ask questions:
1. What is art?
2. Why does an artist make art?
3. Do you think if artist should show life or fiction (fantasy)?
4. What kind of art do you enjoy: painting, sculpture or others?
1. Remember the words on the topic «Art»:
1. visual art
2. to make art
3. an artist and a sculptor
4. a picture and a sculpture
5. a picture gallery/ an art museum
6. a landscape (a seascape)
7. a still life – still lifes
8. a genre scene
9. to look true to life
10. imaginative work
11. a work of art
12. a reproduction
13. to belong to the brush of
14. try your hand at
15. be up to you
[warn] Task 1: learn the words by heart [/warn]
Read text №1 «Man the Creator»
Visual art is a vast subject, including all kinds of pictures and sculptures. Artists make art for many reasons. Hundreds of years ago — when people couldn’t read — painting were often designed to illustrate stories, especially Bible stories. And a lot of paintings were made to decorate churches. More recently, artists have begun to paint to express their own feelings or explore ideas, or just to create something beautiful.
People have always argued about art – how to make it, what it should look like and why. But there are no right and wrong answers. For example, some people think that paintings should look true to life. But many artists want to create more imaginative works — especially now that we have photographs to record how things look. It is common knowledge that there is a huge difference in what artists do. What kind of art you enjoy is up to you.
O.V.Afanasyeva, I.V. Mikheeva, 10th form, page 3
Answer the questions.
1. Are you interested in art? What art in particular? 2. Painting and sculpture are visual arts, aren’t they? Which of them is more exciting for you? 3. What world-famous artists do you know/like? 4. Who is your favourite painter? Why? 5. Which of the two genres — portrait or landscape painting — attracts you more? Do you know any well-known portraitists? landscapists? 6. Many artists produced pictures of scenes at sea. Can you say that Aivazovsky was a famous Russian seascapist? Do you know any names of his pictures? 7. Do you know any British museums? 8. Do you ever go to picture galleries and art museums? Which galleries/museums? What important picture galleries and art museums do you know in Russia and abroad? 9. Where can we see sculptures? Where are they usually placed and why? 10. Do you think photography can be called a visual art? Why? Why not? 11. Have you ever tried your hand at any of these three arts — painting, sculpture and photography? How successful were you?
2. Remember these world-famous museums and galleries (9):
1. The Tretyakov Gallery (Russia, Moscow)
2. The Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts (Russia, Moscow)
3. The Hermitage (Russia, Saint Petersburg)
4. The British Museum (Great Britain, London)
5. The National Gallery (Great Britain, London)
6. The Tate Gallery (Great Britain, London)
7. The Victoria and Albert Museum (Great Britain, London)
8. The Louvre (France, Paris)
9. Musee d`Orsay (France, Paris)
3. Remember the famous artists (sculptors):
1. Leonardo da Vinci [də vintʃi]
2. Ivan Shishkin
3. Orest Kiprensky
4. Rembrandt van Rijn [væn rain]
5. Henri Matisse
6. Alexei Savrasov
7. Paul Gauguin [`gəugæn]
8. Mikhail Vrubel
9. Mark Antokolsky
10. Nikolay Roerich [`rə:rik]
4. Remember the famous pictures (sculptures):
1. «Portrait of A. Pushkin»
2. The Rooks Have Come»
5. Night Cafe in Arles»
6. «Madonna Benois»
8. «Artist’s Studio»
10. «Ivan the Terrible»
[warn] Task 2: match the artists and the paintings. Say according to the example:
- Leonardo da Vinci is famous for his “Madonna Benois” and “Mona Lisa”.
- The paintings “Madonna Benois” and “Mona Lisa” belong to the brush of Leonardo da Vinci.
- The painting called «Mona Lisa» was made by Leonardo da Vinci.
5. Listening Comprehension on the topic «Art»
1. Listen to text №2, page 7 and match the artist and the statement. Pay attention to the key words.
2. Listen for the second time and answer the questions:
1. Why couldn’t the artist earn money selling his pictures?
2. In what fields did the artist work else?
3. What famous church was mentioned and where it is situated?
4. Where did the artist usually paint? Why?
5. Where was the artist born and when did he die?
6. Подготовка к диалогу об известном художнике Леонардо да Винчи:
Task 3: read text №3 and make up questions:
* * *
7. Some information about the world famous painters and sculptors
Leonardo da Vinci (1452-1519) was an Italian Renaissance polymath: a painter, a sculptor, an architect, a musician, a mathematician, an engineer, an inventor, an anatomist, a geologist, a cartographer, a botanist and a writer. The well-know «Mona Lisa» belongs to the brush of Leonardo da Vinci.
Michelangelo Buonarroti (1475-1564) was an Italian sculptor, a painter,an architect, a poet and a engineer of the High Renaissance. He made frescoes for the Sistine Chapel in Vatican.
Claude Monet (1840 – 1926) was a founder of French impressionism. He was famous for his landscape paintings, for example “ The Water Lily pond»
Vincent van Gogh (1853 – 1890) was a post- impressionist painter of a Dutch origin. His pictures were notable for rough beauty and bold colors, for example “Sunflowers”.
Rembrandt van Rijn (1606 – 1669) was a Dutch painter notable for his portraits of his contemporaries, self-portraits and illustrations of scenes from the Bible.
Ivan Ivanovich Shishkin (1832 – 1898) was a Russian landscape painter. His famous pictures are «Rye», «Grass», «Before the Storm» and others.