Данный несложный текст по теме «Education»
текст входит в цикл текстов на английском языке «Education in Russia, Britain and America»
и рекомендуется для чтения на завершающем этапе изучения темы «School».
Перед чтением текста проверьте себя знаете ли вы слова: compulsory, primary education, secondary education, comprehensive, ability, entrance exams, specialized schools, profound knowledge, academic subjects, higher education, enter a university, take exams, pass exams, fail exams.
Education in Russia
(text about the Russian Educational System for intermediate level)
- academic subjects – учебные предметы
- competition – зд. конкурс
- fierce — жесткий
- public — государственный
- bachelor’s degree – диплом бакалавра
- specialist’s degree – диплом инженера
- master’s degree – диплом магистра
- higher education — высшее образование
- institutions of higher education — высшие учебные заведения
All Russian children have the right to education, but it is not only a right, it is a duty, too. Education in our country is compulsory
and now lasts eleven years. It consists of primary education and secondary education.
starts at the age of 6 or 7 and continues for four years. After finishing primary school pupils go on to secondary school
. The school year starts in September and ends in May. Generally there 4 school terms with holidays up to 10 days between them. The summer holidays last from June to September.
Most schools in Russia are comprehensive
, which take pupils of all abilities without entrance exams.
As a rule, pstudents go to school 5 days a week. But there are also specialized schools,
lyceums and gymnasiums, which give profound knowledge
in various academic subjects
. In lyceums and gymnasiums students study 6 days a week.
After finishing the 9th form students must take 4 examinations. Then young people can choose to stay at school, enter a college or a technical school. But to enter a university
they have to study for two more years (either at school or at college).
Higher education in Russia.
There are many colleges and universities in our country, but it is not easy to enter a university
or college as the competition
is rather fierce
. Most of the colleges and universities are public
and students do not have to pay for their education.
After 4 years of study students can pass examinations and get a bachelor’s degree
, after 5 years a specialist’s degree
and after 6 years a master’s degree.
There are a lot of institutions of higher education
in our country:
- the Moscow State University (Московский Государственный Университет)
- the Linguistic University, known as Maurice Thorez Institute of Foreign Languages (Лингвистический Университет, известный как Институт иностранных языков имени Мориса Терезы)
- People’s Friendship University of Russia (Российский Университет Дружбы Народов)
They are well-known not only in Russia but also abroad.
* * *
Задание. Retell the text to make sure that you have remembered the words:
- study academic subjects
- there is a fierce competition
- take entrance exams
- enter a university
- get profound knowledge
- get a bachelor’s degree
- get higher education — высшее образование
- various institutions of higher education — высшие учебные заведения
Читайте еще несложные тексты на английском о системе образования в разных странах: